What is teeth cleaning?
Teeth cleaning or dental prophylaxis is a procedure done by a dentist using special tools to clean your teeth and gums. The outpatient procedure is a part of preventive dentistry. The process involves a dental professional who will remove plaque, tartar, and stains from the surface of the teeth. Professional teeth cleaning is a crucial part of oral hygiene and should not be avoided. According to most dentists, having your teeth professionally cleaned every 6-12 months can significantly reduce the chance of developing periodontal diseases.
How much does teeth cleaning cost?
The cost of dental cleaning varies depending on the location, expertise, and the office. Typically, it can cost anywhere between $70 to $200.
Teeth cleaning process
Most people fear to go to the dentist for any treatment, even basic teeth cleaning. The fear of even the slightest pain and discomfort can cause anxiety. Often times, treatments that are believed to cause pain and discomfort are administered with anesthesia. Teeth cleaning is not one of these types of procedures since there is no pain associated with this treatment.
Reducing Dental Anxiety
Here are some steps a dentist will take to clean your teeth. Becoming more familiar with the steps should serve to reduce any stress and anxiety.
- Your dentist examines your teeth using a small mirror before starting the cleaning process. He will check your teeth and gums for any sign of periodontal problems.
- With the help of a scaler, the dentist gently scrapes and removes the plaque and tartar around your gums and teeth. The more tartar formed inside your mouth, the more time the process will take.
- After removing all the debris from your teeth and gum line, the dentist will then proceed to brush your teeth with an electric brush. The brush gently scrubs the teeth and removes the remaining tartar. The toothpaste he will use is like regular toothpaste and they even let you choose the flavors.
- After the brushing is done, it’s time for professional flossing. Whether you floss regularly or not, an expert flossing will help you get a deeper cleaning. This will help eradicate any trapped tartar that is settled deep in your teeth. After that, your mouth will be thoroughly rinsed with water and liquid fluoride.
- In the end, the dentist applies a paste into a mouthpiece and place them over your teeth. The mouthpiece is left for a minute or so. Next, a substance called fluoride varnish is painted on the teeth with a small brush. This helps protect the teeth from cavities.
How long does a teeth cleaning session take?
Normally, teeth cleaning session can take from 30-60 minutes depending on the condition of teeth and gums.
Benefits of teeth cleaning
- Prevention from cavities and tooth decay
- Prevention from gum disease
- Reduces the chance of premature tooth loss
- Removes bad breath from mouth
Are there any side effects?
Although there are no side effects to the process, the patient might have slight jaw discomfort due to keeping his/her mouth open for a long time. A patient who has teeth sensitivity might feel a tingling sensation during the entire cleaning process. They can even feel slight pain but it will go away after a few hours.
Do’s & Don’ts after teeth cleaning
- Brush regularly (twice a day)
- Floss regularly
- Use a mouthwash
- Consult dentist twice every year
Don’t do these:
- Drink soft drinks, alcohol
- Consume less sugary and processed food
- Drink tea or coffee
Keeping your teeth white
Teeth cleaning is not a permanent solution. It is seen as a preventive measure against oral health problems. Don’t delay a regular check-up schedule. It doesn’t take time for dental diseases to develop. Your mouth may appear in good health but over time, lifestyle, body illnesses can make your teeth and gums pay a heavy price. A regular check-up session and teeth cleaning are surely going to save your money if a potential problem is diagnosed early.
Our Dental Practice in Monroe, NC
Monroe Family Dentistry is there for you and your children from day one and we are happy to work with you and your child to start habits from birth. If you live near Monroe, NC call us to schedule an appointment today at 704.776.4278.
These are just some of the services we provide. To learn more about our dental practice in Monroe NC and the services we provide, call us or submit an appointment request.